Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sam Baldock keen to show Bristol City what he can do

SAM Baldock admits he has a point to prove after leaving West Ham United to join Bristol City.

Relegated to the sidelines by Hammers manager Sam Allardyce during the second half of last season, the 23-year-old marksman is desperate to show the world he can deliver goals in the npower Championship.

He intends taking eight months of frustration out on Cardiff City if selected to make his debut in tomorrow's Severnside derby showdown at Ashton Gate.

City's fifth £1 million signing, Baldock trained with his new team-mates for the first time yesterday and said: "I've a real fire and hunger to show people what I can do. I want to prove myself in the Championship and get back to playing football and enjoying it.

"Last season was really frustrating for me and, now I'm here, I want to kick on again."

Signed by West Ham from MK Dons a year ago, Baldock made an impressive start at Upton Park, bagging four goals in nine appearances.

However, things turned sour when Allardyce, under pressure to deliver promotion, changed tactics and adopted a more pragmatic approach after Christmas.

Opportunities were few and far between for Baldock, who quickly realised he had to move if he wanted to play regular first-team football.

When City boss Derek McInnes made his interest known last month, Baldock immediately bought into his football philosophy and thought seriously about moving away from Upton Park.

He said: "Sam Allardyce went to one up front and I played a couple of games out wide, but I'm not a wide player. I like to play down the middle, get into the box and score goals.

"His style didn't suit all the players or the fans, but he did his job. It was more or less agreed that I would go at the end of last season.

"I got an injury and missed a couple of games, he then changed the style and was playing defenders in midfield and midfielders up front and I could not get into the team.

"When I first spoke to Derek McInnes, it felt like a breath of fresh air. If you don't enjoy what you are doing then you can fall out of love with it, but I know I will enjoy playing for Bristol City."

Baldock, pictured, was an interested spectator as City thrashed Crystal Palace 4-1 in midweek and he insists his appetite was whetted by what he saw.

He said: "My eyes really lit up when I saw all the chances that were created. Everyone's first thought was to go forward and I thought to myself 'I'd like a bit of this for myself'. This team is set up to create chances and score goals and I want to be a part of that."

McInnes remains in the market for a right-sided centre half and is monitoring Swansea captain Garry Monk.

The experienced defender was left out of the squad altogether for last Saturday's Premier League opener at Queens Park Rangers and has been told by Swans boss Michael Laudrup that he may have to look elsewhere for regular first-team football.

Monk is reluctant to leave the Liberty Stadium, but may consider a move rather than remain stuck on the sidelines.

Should he become available before the transfer window closes next Friday, McInnes will consider either paying a fee or taking the 33-year-old on loan.

Midfielder Neil Kilkenny is rated doubtful for tomorrow's lunchtime kick-off against Cardiff after suffering a back injury, but right-back Mark Wilson is back in contention after recovering from illness.

McInnes is spoilt for choice in attack where he will perm any two from new arrivals Baldock and Steve Davies, plus Jon Stead, Ryan Taylor and Brett Pitman.

League Two promotion-hopefuls Cheltenham Town have completed the signing of midfielder Darren Carter on a six-month deal.

The 28-year-old goes straight into the Robins squad for this weekend's match against Aldershot.

Carter, who previously had spells with West Brom and Birmingham, including experience in the Premier League, agreed terms at the club's training ground yesterday.

Cheltenham boss Mark Yates said: "We're delighted. He has experience and a lot of quality."

Sam Baldock keen to show Bristol City what he can do

decay of radon remote systems monitoring radon in the workplace

No comments:

Post a Comment